28 de ago. de 2006

Unha reportaxe sobre Galiza



Un interesante comentario sobre Pontedeume, coa perspectiva propia dun visitante que coñece esta vila.

I have been coming to Pontedeume regularly during the last 12 years and during that time I have noticed many changes.

In Galicia (as in other parts of Spain) there is an obsession with living in tall apartment buildings.

This can be sensible in cities but in smaller coastal or rural towns such as Pontedeume, it takes away from the original character of the historic town and the landscape around it.

When I thought that it wasn't possible to get worse than that really big new apartment block on the coast road towards Mino (which has views over Cabanas beach), last time I visitied, I noticed what looks like a 6-floor apartment building behind the old Correos building. Amazing!

At the same time, a large number of the old buildings in the centre of Pontedeume are abandoned.

Pontedeume has a beautiful old centre. I wish that the Ayuntamiento could find a way to encourage constructors to re-develop the older town and prevent the tall new buildings.